With offices located in the Okanagan Valley, Quantum Law offers a comprehensive legal services to a range of clients in the liquor industry. We have developed a niche practice in this complex regulatory area through our service of winery, brewery, and distillery clients.
On the wine side, we represent both land-based and commercial wineries. In addition to our extensive experience in business law, our specific knowledge of the wine industry in British Columbia and its regulatory regime allow us to devise time-efficient and cost-effective solutions for winery owners, investors, grape growers, and other participants in the industry.
Our lawyers have assisted clients to establish new wineries and to acquire existing wineries. Quantum Law is a trusted advisor to several well-known wineries. Given the concentrated size of the wine industry in British Columbia, client confidentiality is of utmost importance to Quantum Law.
We are also pleased to work with several breweries and distilleries to help navigate the licensing process from initial manufacturer applications to endorsements and structural changes. The growing craft beer and spirits sectors in British Columbia have resulted in an expanded portfolio of clients for us beyond the wine industry.
There are various statutes and regulations that govern the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages in British Columbia. In addition to the legislation, both the Liquor Control and Licensing Branch and the Liquor Distribution Branch have implemented certain policies which also regulate the operations of liquor manufacturers. Understandably, operating in this complex arena can be difficult — our lawyers have the experience and regulatory contacts to help you navigate the system so you can focus on your operations.
Our services include:
- Preparation and filing of winery, brewery, and distillery license applications
- Compliance with ongoing regulatory requirements
- Regulation of wine sales across Canada
- Regulation of wine marketing, labelling, and VQA matters
- Application for endorsements to an existing licence (on-site retail, lounge, special event area)
- Contract packaging (co-pack) licenses
Other Licensing Matters
- Food primary (restaurant) and liquor primary applications
- Excise licenses for manufacturers of wines, beer, and spirits
- LDB and LCLB audit compliance
Liquor Sales Agency
- Structuring of sales agency, including key contracts
- Preparation and filing of agent’s license applications
- Purchase and sale of vineyards and/or wineries, breweries, or distilleries
- Complete legal due diligence tailored to the liquor industry
Financing of Operations
- Capital raises
- Operating and term loans
- Inventory financing
- Equipment financing
- EBC/VCC tax-incented offerings
- Custom crush agreements
- Winemaker/Brewmaster/Master Distiller and other consulting agreements
- Vineyard lease agreements
- Grape purchase/supply contracts
- Employment agreements
- Restaurant operating agreements
- Vineyard management agreements